Thursday, September 11, 2008

Here, Do You Want This Instead?

Those words above, uttered by Ryan during lunchtime on Monday has totally changed my life and my music-listening experience the past two days. He downloaded a whole album of Mika into my mp4. For those who don't know who Mika is, here he is:Didn't really think or expect much from the album whenever I started to listen to it. But I decided to give all of the songs a chance and listen through anyway. And it was amazing! Out of all of the songs in my album, there is only one I don't particularly like. But the rest, the rest of the songs had me nearly bobbing my head and singing along to in the bus. Most of the time, what happens between an album and me is that I'll just like one song, and none of the others. Right now so far I must have listened to that whole album for about a grand total of six times in the past two days. I'm absolutely saturated with Mika, I sing it, I hear it in my head, and I can't wait to listen to it.

One of the reasons why I love his songs so much is because the songs are so catchy and fun, also, it's not everyday you get a male who has such a wide voice range and sound good while doing it. Some people have accused him of being gay, but frankly, I don't really care if he's gay or not. His songs are still fun and cute. For a man to compose fun songs like that, it's pretty refreshing. It's also really good for a mood lift whenever you need it.

My absolute favorite song from the whole album at the moment is Big Girls (you are beautiful) go check it out here. It's not often you get singers who help big girls feel better about themselves. Especially when magazines are brainwashing little girls to look like a stick. Models are getting skinnier and skinnier each year. Which gets pretty depressing for an ever-increasing girl like me, but I just choose to ignore the magazines and remind myself that I at least have people who love me for who I am. And, that I know how to appreciate my food.Queen Latifah is a plus-sized big girl and yet, because she is so confident with herself, she looks so amazing all the time. Look! She ain't no stick but she's still fantastic looking.Went to Rock City Diner with Ryan yesterday and the girl who brought us our food was really skinny. Yes, I admit I was kinda jealous at first, but then after looking at her a few more times, I realized that her cheeks were sunken and she looked really frail. This may sound harsh, but she doesn't look too different to a drug addict. I'm not dissing her, she was really nice, but she's just really really skinny. Once me and Ryan were talking about skinny people and I said "I don't like friends who are too skinny, I'm afraid I might break them." To which Ryan laughed for a really long time leaving me pretty bewildered. But yea, I can see where he is coming from. It is pretty funny. >.<

So ends my rant about skinny girls and my accolade for Mika. His songs enrich my day just that little bit more. It's the little things that make a difference. Now, I'm hungry. Where's my dinner?

"It's okay to be a fat man. It's prestige and power and all of that. But fat women are seen as just lazy and stupid and having no self-control." -Camryn Manheim (an American Emmy Award and Golden Globe-winning actress known for her roles primarily for her roles as attorney Ellenor Frutt on ABC's The Practice and Delia Banks on CBS's Ghost Whisperer) What she said is very true.

No comments:

Post a Comment