Friday, September 12, 2008

The Value Of (NOT) Fighting

Today something really exciting happened. To be honest, it was a little too early in the morning before I actually understood the gravity of what I was witnessing.

Guessed what it is yet?

Hint: Look at the title.

Right. When I got off the bus at the bus station to walk to school, I near walked into a street fight.

Yes, you read that right. I walked into a real life street fight. Well, not really walked into them. I just walked, saw the commotion, and realized what it was, turned and tried to creep away. It was so scary, I hardly dared to breathe because I was so worried they'd turn on me and start hitting me or something. So I just sort of, crept around them and gave them as wide a berth as I can. As much as I would like to stay and watch, I don't want to invite trouble.

There were two guys, one couldn't be more than 17, and the other could be near 20, maybe older. And the older one was full on punching the younger one's head. Which looked really painful. To make things worse, there was another guy who was filming this whole thing on his mobile phone. Oh the indignity! To make things even worse for that younger guy, his butt-crack was showing.

Butt-crack flashing + Being beaten to pulp + Someone taking a video as well as countless others watching = Utter Humiliation!

I feel for the younger guy.

Why did they fight anyway? I mean, when I think about it, see when people insult you. And you feel like confronting them but walk away instead with them hurling abuse and perhaps even more solid things such as chips or something at your back. Yes, it'll be humiliating. And yes, it'll hurt so much inside that it might be the sore spot for the rest of your life. It might even scar you for life!

But, but but! If you confront them. And then they pick a fight with you. A fight you know you may well lose. But you don't want to look like a coward! So you go for it. Go ahead and you may well end up like that younger guy there. If you confront them and decide to be the 'big man' for goodness sake, at least make sure you'll win it. Or better still, don't fight at all. It's so much more dignified. Plus, you don't go home looking like some crazy painter has gone over you with his paintbrush. What with all those colorful bruises.

Pity the guy's mom. If she were to see her little boy now. Her heart will shatter into pieces. Poor poor people.

Why can't we just live together?

"Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war that we know about peace, more about killing that we know about living." -Omar N. Bradley (one of the main U.S. army field commanders in North Africa and Europe during World War II and a General of the Army in the United States Army)







No comments:

Post a Comment