Sunday, August 10, 2008

Happy National Day Singapore!

Today is National Day in Singapore. Well, it seems like any normal day here in Northern Ireland except for the great sun we got for the first half of the day.

And then it rained. Typical.

Anyway, went on to research for pictures on National Day Parade this year. Well, I've seen the pictures, but I must admit it is not as fun as sitting on my mom and dad's bed in front of the tv with my family munching on titbits and watching the National Parade go on.
Ah well. Heard from a few friends in Singapore that this year's is pretty boring, not as big as last year's. Not many fireworks. Fireworks are the best bits. I remember once I was celebrating National Day at a aunt's house and we could see the glow of the fireworks there. It was pretty exciting considering I've only ever been at the parade twice. Once when I was five and another time when I was eleven when it is compulsory in Singapore for all students in Primary 5 to watch the National Day Parade. The feeling of patriotism is just irreplaceable.

Singapore has progressed so much. From 1966 when the parades consist of small marching soldiers. To a much bigger scale like this: I heard that this year they have a three tier stage for National Day Parade. Really wish I have been there.

"A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle and patriotism is loyalty to that principle." -George William Curtis (an American writer and public speaker)








No comments:

Post a Comment