Sunday, August 10, 2008

War

Well today I received shocking news. Russia attacked Georgia on the day the Olympics started! I couldn't believe it. Tell me I'm dumb and stupid but I can't stand the thought of just quite happily sitting in my living room and then having a bomb strike nearby and have to run for your life, completely unprepared.

That would probably be my worse nightmare. Apparently, Russia declared war on Georgia because Georgia was once a part of Russia but they broke off. And now Russia wants it back. That is putting it very very briefly because I haven't really researched on it yet. I can't believe Russia chose the day the Olympics started to start a war. It's supposed to be the luckiest day in the Chinese calendar. Well, it's probably the most unlucky day for some out there in the world today. For some, today would be the most unforgettable day in their lives. And not in a good way. Poor things.

I originally wanted to put up photos which I saw in the paper but decided not to. Those pictures really spoiled my day and made me want to cry. So no, no pictures. As a lover of Life, I hate war which causes so much death. There is nothing that cannot be dealt with gently and non-violently.
The Olympics used to be a symbol of peace. It used to be that whole wars will be stopped just to let the games proceed. I would imagine after having exchanged good sportsman spirit wars will be stopped and handled appropriately. Things have changed so much. Now while the Olympics is proceeding and testing athletes world-wide, there is war raging in Georgia and Iraq. It utterly disgusts me to think that in the opening ceremony, they showed a dove, the ultimate symbol of peace and elsewhere, there is probably some sick soldier torturing a poor guy into submission and someone is plotting to declare war and bestow pain and suffering on lots of other innocent people just for a stupid plot of land. Live and let live.

I do appreciate that they may have huge reasons for trying to conquer that piece of land back, but there must be a better way. Right enough, I appreciate the ingeniousness of the whole plan to invade Georgia. People all around the world will most likely be huddled around their televisions watching the opening ceremony of the whole thing. With nearly everyone in the country occupied, it would be the perfect time to strike. But..the sickness and irony of it all. It disgusts me!

If I were to be born in the 70s I'll probably be a hippie carrying signs that say "Make Love Not War". But then again, I would probably look like that:-.-

I guess it is a fact of life that people do stupid things, and people do violent things. Heck, chances are, there are probably not alot of people who will be as anti-war as me. The best I can do is to raise awareness of the hurt and suffering war ravages on the people, and the aftermath which echoes down for generations. So yes, everyone, to cut the long story short, war is bad! Love thy neighbor and forgive and forget. The world will be a better place then.

"If it's natural to kill, how come men have to go into training to learn how?" -Joan Baez (an American folk singer and songwriter known for her highly individual vocal style. Many of her songs are topical and deal with social issues)








No comments:

Post a Comment